Level 1 Trauma Center
The Erlanger Baroness Campus in Chattanooga, TN is a Level 1 Trauma Center serving patients in Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and North Carolina. Erlanger Medical Center implemented the Trauma Services Department to assure high quality trauma care and to guarantee adherence to state and national standards and guidelines.
- No divert policy for trauma, traumatology (ortho trauma), or surgical patients
- Accept ED and inpatient hospital transfers round-the-clock, regardless or holidays
- Provide telephonic inpatient and critical care consultations when requested
- Hyperbaric services offered for ED and inpatient patient transfers round-the-clock
- Pediatric trauma care through Children's Hospital at Erlanger
The mission of the Trauma Services Department is to serve in a consulting role by providing assistance to all trauma-related areas within the medical center. Some of these responsibilities include, but are not limited to, administration, clinical, prevention, education, quality improvement (QI), and research.
Trauma Services maintains a registry of all trauma admissions, deaths in the Emergency Department (DERs) due to trauma, recording over 150 data elements for each entry. This data also becomes part of a national registry via a computer program developed by the American College of Surgeons. This bank of valuable information is available for research, education, prevention, and for QI activities.
Trauma & Emergency Acute Care Surgery (ACS) Services
Specializing in acute and non-emergent general surgery for the liver, pancreas, colon, intestines, gallbladder, and appendix
- Full-time trauma surgeons, board-certified in both general and surgical critical care
- Round-the-clock acute general surgical care services for emergent liver, pancreas, colon, intestines, gallbladder, and appendix needs.
Trauma & ACS Surgeons
Donald E. Barker, MD, FACS
Benjamin W. Dart IV, MD, FACS
Robert A. Maxwell, MD, FACS
Vicente A. Mejia, MD, FACS
Phillip W. Smith, MD, FACS
Traumatology - Orthopedic Trauma Services
- Full-time orthopaedic surgeons who are fellowship-trained in traumatology
- Round-the-clock acute general surgical services due to trauma or illness
- For inpatient hospital transfers, please call (423) 778-8100
- For outpatient non-emergent appointments, call (423) 778-4859
Orthopedic Trauma Surgeons
Warren "Ren" Gardner, II, MD
Dirk Kiner, MD
Peter J. Nowotarski, MD
Richard Chapman, PA-C
Hyperbaric Wound Therapy
- 24/7 Oxygen therapy available
- Tennessee's only Level I accredited hyperbaric oxygen program
- Nationally-certified hyperbaric staff